free responsive website templates

About Station House















The station was originally opened by the North Eastern Railway in 1878 as part of the Hawes extension of their route from Northallerton via Leyburn

  • July 1866 - Act of Parliament raised by the Midland Railway (that mostly related to the Settle and Carlisle line) included a branch off this line between Garsdale and Hawes was authorised.
  •  4 July 1870 - Act of Parliament raised by the North Eastern Railway for a railway between Leyburn and Hawes was authorised. The line would pass through Leyburn, Wensley, Redmire, Aysgarth, Askrigg and Hawes.
  • October 1878 - Hawes Branch NER (North Eastern Railway) - Opened for passengers to meet the Hawes Branch MR of the Midland Railway over which the North Eastern Railway had running powers to Garsdale. Built as a single-track line.
  • April 1954 - Bedale Branch (York Newcastle and Berwick Railway), Bedale and Leyburn Railway & Hawes Branch NER (North Eastern Railway) - Line closed to passengers Redmire Station closed and abandoned.
  • 1961 - 2nd Acomb Scout Group Camp at Riverside Meadows near Redmire falls and the derilict station house is spotted by Fred Knight (one of the original founders)
  • 1963 - Redmire Station House Leased by 2nd Acomb Scout Group from The British Railway Board.
  • 1964 - Hawes Branch NER (North Eastern Railway) - Redmire to Hawes track closed.
  • 1965 - The track west of Redmire was lifted and many bridges on this section of the line were demolished.
  • 1982 - Freight traffic on the line ceased with the exception of goods trains serving the quarry near Redmire.
  • 1988 - Redmire Station House Purchased by 2nd Acomb Scout Group for £15,000 mainly raised by Hiring Marquees, Summer Fair and Donations.
  • 1990 - Wensleydale Railway Association formed with the main aim of restoring passenger services.
  • 1992 - Bedale Branch (York Newcastle and Berwick Railway), Bedale and Leyburn Railway, Hawes Branch NER (North Eastern Railway) - Northallerton to Redmire closed to Limestone traffic from Redmire. Line mothballed.
  • 1995 - Redmire Trustees launch an appeal to raise funds for the games room extension. The western wing of the house had been demolished many years prior, the extension would be simpathetic with the original design of the station.
  • July 1996 - Bedale Branch (York Newcastle and Berwick Railway), Bedale and Leyburn Railway, Hawes Branch NER (North Eastern Railway) - Line re-opened to Redmire for military traffic to Catterick Camp. These military transport trains continue to this day.
  • 1997 - Extension is built and games room is added to the side of Station House. (Some of the pictures below show Station House prior to the gamesroom extension)
  • 2000 - Wensleydale Railway plc formed and issued a share offer that raised £1.2 million.
  • 2003 - Railtrack and Wensleydale Railway plc sign an 99-year lease for the line between Northallerton and Redmire.
  • 4 July 2003 - Passenger services restarted with the stations at Leeming Bar and Leyburn reopened.
  • 2004 - Stations at Bedale, Finghall and Redmire were reopened.
  • 2016 - Wensleydale Railway carries over 50,000 people a year.



Although passenger traffic ceased in 1954 there were occasional passenger trains between 1984 and 1988. 22 miles of track between Northallerton and Redmire on the line to Garsdale were retained to serve a limestone works at Redmire. When this traffic ceased in 1992, the line was upgraded and used by the Ministry of Defence with occasional military traffic serving Catterick Garrison.
The 17 mile section of track between Leeming Bar and Redmire was acquired by the Wensleydale Railway, with the section between Leyburn and Leeming Bar reopened on 4th July 2003, this was extended to Redmire from 1st August 2004. This is a community passenger service with 5 trains a day over the line with occasional military traffic serving Catterick Garrison. - att(http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/redmire/)

Rare images of Redmires Railway Heritage

These images are courtesy of Bill Robertson and Ian Dinmore, they show the loading equipment from the quary, the holding lines on the west side of the station house and the building before the games room extension was built. Any further donations of old picturs will be graciously accepted.

Scout Activity Centre

Redmire Station House is now owned by 2nd Acomb Scout Group, York and run on their behalf under a Declaration of Trust with 4 Trustees. Redmire is primerily available for Scouts, youth groups and other charities. We also invite other connected parties to use the facilites away from peek times.

Over its 50 years as a Scout Activity Centre, it has been visited by tens of thousands of children of varying abilities and backgrounds and other charitable organisations.

Home - About us - Booking - General Information - Local Attractions - Facilities - Location

Like us of Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/redmirestationhouse/ - If you have any queries, please contact the trustees through Facebook Messenger alternatively, contact our booking secretary who will try and assist.

Redmire Station House is run in association with Second Acomb Scout Group, York.
Website designed and produced by Darren Rigg (Trustee), please contact myself (darren@darrenrigg.co.uk) should you have any comment, queries or contribution.
This site is for reference only, it does not use cookies or store any personal identifiable information from visitors.